Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Loss of a Legend

August 9, 1963-February 11, 2012

Last night while I was getting ready to eat dinner with my parents and sisters, we were informed of Whitney Houston's death.  This really shocked me, because it was just so all of a sudden and random.  Even though I'm only 21, I have two older sisters, which is who I learned all about Whitney from.  This woman was definitely an idol and inspired so many people, she was very beautiful, and had the voice of an Angel; she was a LEGEND!!  The first song I ever heard by Whitney Houston was "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)", and it has always stuck with me...she definitely had those songs that you could hear once or twice and they would touch you; her voice and her high notes would give you chills.  Her songs were unforgettable.  I hate the fact that the media is so focused on her past struggles with drugs and alcohol; even if her cause of death was because of substance abuse, I feel as if though they shouldn't focus on that.  DRUGS DIDN'T MAKE WHITNEY FAMOUS, HER MUSIC AND HER VOICE IS WHAT MADE HER FAMOUS!!  Stop focusing on the bad parts of her life, and cherish the good that she has done for the musical community; music today is struggling, and it's because they don't have a lot of people out there that could carry a note like Whitney could.  Just because she was a celebrity, doesn't mean that you can just rip her apart like that; she was a human being just like us, and she left behind a family; so instead of tearing her down, you should be building her up like the great artist she was, respecting her, her music, and most importantly her family.  After all of this is over, "normal" people are just going to go on with their lives, and maybe think of her when they hear a song by her, but her family has to deal with this for the rest of their lives...so before you go bashing her, think of the real people that she has left behind.  My prayers and condolences go out to Whitney's family and friends, especially her mother, Cissy Houston, and daughter, Bobbi Kristina.

Bobbi Kristina & her mother, the great Whitney Houston



1 comment:

  1. I love that song. Whitney was great. I used to play her music all the time I played this song when doing my exercises in the eighties. She inspired me. Like Michael Jackson , who I also loved, she'll me truly missed.

    I also wish people wouldn't focus on her addictions, it wasn't her fault, poor girl. That can happen to anyone in certain circumstances. We don't know what she's been through. Why are some folks so judgemental?

    I feel so sorry fore he dear daughter.

    ReplyDelete